Show a guidance modal in PB voting after selecting the first project
Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Many people do not confirm their votes. According to our statistics, the numbers vary but they are generally between 5-20% of the votes.
If up to 20% of the people do not understand how to vote, something must be wrong. We are trying to tackle this issue using various different methods, including email notifications for unconfirmed votes which we recently implemented in the core. But there must be more that we can do to tackle this.
Describe the solution you'd like
We are trying to add another layer of help for the voters to better understand how the process works by introducing a guidance modal that pops up on the user's screen after they add the first project to their vote. This modal would guide users that they still need to do something in order to cast their vote.
The popup content should be as simple as possible, not overloading the user's cognitive understanding as many help texts in Decidim are now doing (such as the voting rules guidance which our customers generally ask to hide completely as it does not make any sense to other than technical people).
The suggestion for the content in the popup is as follows:
- Title: "Your vote has not yet been cast"
- Description (below title): You need to cast your vote for it to be counted in the final result.
- Three icons describing the process:
- Pick the plans
- Confirm your vote
- Cast your vote
- A button stating: "I understand how to vote" (closes the popup
Describe alternatives you've considered
We are trying to tackle this issue using several ways of which some we have been able to provide back to the core:
- Making sure each user has a confirmed email under their account which allows sending messages to them (during the first 3rd party login where email address is currently not confirmed) - Our suggestion was NOT accepted by the product team
- Adding notification emails for people who have left their vote unconfirmed - Our suggestion was accepted to the core
We are currently implementing this for a client and we will be testing this in real life in April 2022, along with the email notifications feature which is already in the core.
On the first round of voting on the same instance, there was a large amount of people who did not confirm their votes. If we get more people to confirm their votes this year, this should be an indication that our strategies were successful.
We will report back the results after we get numbers from the voting.
Attached in this proposals is a UI mockup of what the popup could look like on top of the budgeting view.
Does this issue could impact on users private data?
We are currently implementing this for a client and Mainio Tech can fund the efforts for bringing the feature to the core (if accepted)