Add nickname autofilling to the sign up form
Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Our clients report that many of their users do not understand the difference between name and nickname when they sign up :
- some don’t know what to input (it can be creative out of the blue ;))
- some feel like they are asked to input the same info twice and find it annoying
- some will create errors by inputing special characters* or going over the limit (25)
- Constraint not mentioned in a help text that the user discovers with an error message after sending the form
This creates unnecessary frictions at a crucial step.
Describe the solution you'd like
In order to make it easier to sign up on Decidim, we propose
- to automatically fill the user nickname field using the name input
- hide the nickname field on the signup form to avoid any confusion*
*(what is this second field ? why is it autofilled ?) + they can always change it later in their account settings
We propose to generate the nickname in the following way :
- delete spaces
- no uppercase
- delete special characters
- 25 characters
- when duplacate add a number that can be incremented
- keep 2 characters for numbers at the end
Name : Constantin Guillaume de La villardière → Nickname : constantinguillaumedela
If a other users register with the same name we’ll have :
Describe alternatives you've considered
This was tried by Platoniq on one of their instance, they told us it really helped with registration.
This proposal is part of a larger scope to improve authentication flow in Decidim. Working document here (External link).
Does this issue could impact on users private data?
OSP and Angers