Automatically deleting inactive users (if the admin chooses to do so)
Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Lille European Metropolis, our client, has observed the need to delete/block/suspend inactive accounts after a certain period of inactivity. Other clients have also expressed similar needs. This need is based on a few motivating factors listed below:
- as an extra step in GDPR compliance;
- opportunity to regain users by warning them that if they will not their account will be deleted/blocked/suspended;
- security concerns - keeping less personal data also means limiting the negative impact of a potential data leak.
Describe the solution you'd like
- As an administrator I want to choose whether users are deleted/blocked/suspended after a period of inactivity or not.
- As an administrator I want to define time criteria for the period of inactivity leading to deletion (as well as the timing of the warning email) so that I don’t have to delete/block/suspend inactive users manually.
- As an administrator I want to configure the email warning users that their account will be deleted/blocked/suspended if they do not log in so that some of them return to the platform.
A checkbox in the administrator panel allowing administrators to choose whether users are deleted/blocked/suspended automatically after a period of inactivity and if so chosen to enter the period of inactivity after which users are to be considered inactive.
A newsletter template automatically existing in the newsletter tab of the administrator panel allowing to configure the warning email.
Measuring the performance of this change:
- complaints received of users unsatisfied with the automatic deletion of their account as a percentage of the total number of inactive accounts deleted;
- warning email opening rate and conversion (the user logs into the platform again);
Describe alternatives you've considered
The main discussion on alternatives has been whether to block, delete or in other ways "suspend" the inactive user if the administrator chooses to automatically do so.
Would like to open this discussion to your opinions ;)
Does this issue could impact on users private data?
This feature could have a positive impact on users' private data.
Open Source Politics and our clients
List of Endorsements
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?