A better Decidim in Docker
I use Docker for decidim instance, and the decidim/docker is helpful but not really actionable as it is. This proposal aims to push forward docker use inside decidim.
Nowadays, my concerns for Decidim in Docker are:
- It needs to be ready to be run with sidekiq, puma and others (activestorage/activecable).
- It needs more env variables to be configurable (caching/files in s3)
- It needs some docker-compose to show integrations with initiative time-stamping, etherpad and e-voting
- It needs some minor security improvements, to match common docker configurations for production:
* no sudo user in the container
* no needs of nodeJS at runtime
* and other things too sensible to be describe here.
The solution I would like
- Remove decidim/docker repository that uses the generator
- Improve decidim-generator
* A Dockerfile production-ready
* Add binaries to run: sidekiq/puma/actioncable/actionstorage.
* Add env variables to configure the container: caching, files in S3, logs rotation, etc.
I don't see any future for decidim/docker repository, as a Docker container need to run an existing app. I don't see alternatives for Decidim in Docker than a bump of the generator.
An alternative to the Dockerfile placement would be to create a .deploy folder in the rails root, in order to have other kinds of developments, like:
And then add a documentation to move files you want for deployment. I am not a big fan of this, because I think that Decidim should focus on one deployment method and Docker container is much more resilient.
Octree Geneva is ready to develop this feature.
This proposal has been accepted and is under development
List of Endorsements
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?