Add nickname autofilling to the sign up form
Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Our clients report that many of their users do not understand the difference between name and nickname when they sign up :
- some don’t know what to input (it can be creative out of the blue ;))
- some feel like they are asked to input the same info twice and find it annoying
- some will create errors by inputing special characters* or going over the limit (25)
- Constraint not mentioned in a help text that the user discovers with an error message after sending the form
This creates unnecessary frictions at a crucial step.
Describe the solution you'd like
In order to make it easier to sign up on Decidim, we propose
- to automatically fill the user nickname field using the name input
- hide the nickname field on the signup form to avoid any confusion*
*(what is this second field ? why is it autofilled ?) + they can always change it later in their account settings
We propose to generate the nickname in the following way :
- delete spaces
- no uppercase
- delete special characters
- 25 characters
- when duplacate add a number that can be incremented
- keep 2 characters for numbers at the end
Name : Constantin Guillaume de La villardière → Nickname : constantinguillaumedela
If a other users register with the same name we’ll have :
Describe alternatives you've considered
This was tried by Platoniq on one of their instance, they told us it really helped with registration.
This proposal is part of a larger scope to improve authentication flow in Decidim. Working document here (External link).
Does this issue could impact on users private data?
OSP and Angers
This proposal has been accepted and is under development
List of Endorsements
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?