Sustainability, governance and partnerships of Decidim
Participatory process to define Decidim's management model and sustainability strategy
From 2019, a public-common governance of the code has been defined, thanks to the agreement signed between the City Council, the Decidim Association and the Localret Consortium. Representatives of these three entities become part of the Product team, and are responsible for overseeing the code.
The Product team is in charge of defining the software roadmap and responding to proposals for new functionalities made by the community in Metadecidim. It also ensures the coherence and technical sustainability of the software. The roadmap is done collaboratively in different ways:
- Through Metadecidim and the community (metaproposals)
- Through contracts with the association (ex: Vocdoni and the Voting module)
- Through the development contracts of the Barcelona City Council
Questions for the debate
- How can we ensure good collective governance of the code and the strategic direction of the product?
- What should be the role of the Association in Product, which bodies should be represented, which actors and what decision-making capacity should they have?
- What kind of improvements do we want to prioritise, and what criteria should be used to prioritise them?
How can I participate?
- By leaving your comments below. You can answer the questions or write your thoughts on the topic addressed in this debate.
- Upvote for the comments you agree with. Your votes will be taken into account when drafting the document.
Remember to express your opinion respectfully.
List of Endorsements
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?
What is the summary or conclusion of this debate?
You are seeing a single comment
View all comments
Hi! I pretty much agree with everything that has been said. As the current Product Owner I would like to explain a few things to give more context. It’s a bit long, and rambling... apologies in advance!
The product team has a 12-24 months high level Roadmap which defines high level themes and features to be addressed in this timeframe. Regarding this, we already shared the approach in our last post. IMO the strategic vision has to be elaborated by the coordination committee, always with the product team, who has the insight of the project needs.
I think it's best to keep the roadmap as a GitHub project, since it is very manageable. Even for less technical people, the structure is very simple and easy to understand. And I would avoid having duplicate information on different platforms.
But I agree that we need to improve the visibility of the roadmap so that more people are aware of it and how it is deployed. For this I would publish on Metadecidim: the link to the roadmap + periodic posts about the progress of the development. In fact we have already started with this practice, although perhaps they are diluted with the rest of communications.
One idea is to re-activate (because it was already created at the time the Association was born) the Product committee. With its members, its meetings, access to the roadmap and its own blog, with monthly posts, which can also be included in the general Newsletter.
Loading comments ...