An assembly is a group of members of an organization who meet periodically to make decisions about a specific area or scope of the organization.
Assemblies hold meetings, some are private and some are open. If they are open, it is possible to participate in them (for example: attending if the capacity allows it, adding points to the agenda, or commenting on the proposals and decisions taken by this organ).
Examples: A general assembly (which meets once a year to define the organisation's main lines of action as well as its executive bodies by vote), an equality advisory council (which meets every two months to make proposals on how to improve gender relations in the organisation), an evaluation commission (which meets every month to monitor a process) or a guarantee body (which collects incidents, abuses or proposals to improve decision-making procedures) are all examples of assemblies.
In this area, we want to delve into the open discussions in monthly LAB #Metadecidim, as well as other research challenges connected with the development of Decidim and online democracy trough LID (Democratic Innovation Laboratory)
LAB Metadecidim: network research for a network democracy
A laboratory for democracy
LAB Metadecidim is an open and collaborative research space aimed at addressing key issues for the development of the Decidim platform and of the online democracy.
Collective intelligence and social complexity
Just as social networks or mobile applications today cross our daily lives, networks like Decidim will transform political life in the coming years. This raises challenges that require the collective intelligence of communities of experts still to be built.
Open and networked research
The meetings of LAB Metadecidim are a place from which to promote the construction of these communities, an open and shared space for research, from which weave networks for the search for democracy in the network. That is why we invite the expert community, the scientific community of universities, their groups and research centers, the specialized companies and their social environment to be part of this project.
Issues such as digital identity, security, privacy, processes and models of network democracy, technopolitical governance, artificial intelligence for participation, political gamification or citizen science will be discussed.
The first (and main) objective of the laboratory is to open a space for debate that will help guide the development work of Decidim. A second objective is to build networks and communities of experts interested in contributing to this development in its various fronts (privacy, security, ontology, etc.). These contributions may range from carrying out applied or theoretical investigations around Decidim until the direct contribution to the github code, through the inclusion of these experts in the community through the Metadecidim SOM (Metadeciden Operating Sessions) . A third objective is to establish an open place for research and debate around the network democracy in a broader sense.
LAB Metadecidim includes monthly sessions aimed at local, state and international experts to deal with challenges and urgent problems of the Decidim project. Each session will have at least two speakers and one assistant as "row 0", and will facilitate the discussion with the audience.
Seminars LAB Metadecidim 2017
17.03.2017 Identitats digitals, verificació i processos democràtics (Digital identities, verification and democratic processes)
21.04.2017 Estratègies de gamificació política i engagement per a la democràcia (Strategies of engagement for democracy)
19.05.2017 Decidim.territori. Investigant models de governança democràtica per a noves escales de ciutat (Researching models of democratic governance for new city-scale)
30.06.2017 Ontologies digitals de la participació (Digital Ontologies of participation)
19.07.2017 Governança democràtica d'infraestructures digitals (Democratic governance of digital infrastructures)
06.10.2017 Innovació Democràtica Guiada Per Models Simulats (Democratic innovation driven by simulated models)
15.12.2017 Disseny participatiu de plataformes digitals democràtiques (Participatory design)
Seminars LAB Metadecidim 2018
19.01.2018 Indicadors de qualitat democràtica (Indicators of democratic quality)
14.02.2018 Narratives per la participació ciudadana i la democracia en xarxa (Narratives for citizen participation and network democracy)
15/03/2018 Decidim.viz. Visualització de dades per a la participació democràtica (Decidim.viz: data visualization for democratic participation)
03/05/2018 Decidim.procediment: Validesa administrativo-jurídica per la participació digital (Administrative-legal validity for digital participation)
06/06/2018 decidim.mov:Tecnologíes de participació ciutadana per a movimients sociales y organitzaciones (Citizen participation technologies for social movements and organizations)
11/10/2018 Decidim.cultura: Tecnologies de participació ciutadana per a la gestió i producció cultural (Citizen participation technologies for cultural management and production)
14/12/2018 decidim.ambCiència: Tecnologies de participació per a polítiques públiques guiades per ciència ciutadana (Participation technologies for public policies guided by citizen science)
Seminars LAB Metadecidim 2019
LID: Democratic Innovation Laboratory
It is an open, participatory and networked space for democratic innovation. A catalyst for projects and communities of research, development, prototyping and action aimed at building democratic solutions to city’s desires and problems.
LID aims to be a laboratory of local, state and global reference on democratic innovation for social transformation. It wants to be a catalyst for projects and communities of research, development, prototyping and action focused on building a fairer and more democratic city. To achieve this, we question and orient our activities to local and global players, always connected to the metropolitan territory, with the ambition of contributing to weave a network of Municipal Laboratories or Athenaeums of Social Experimentation (in culture, economy, democracy, etc.) at multiple scales.
- To analyze and diagnose social problems and desires.
- To explore borders and new trends at the intersection of democracy, technology and the city.
- Promote processes and projects of reflection, research, prototyping and design that explore new ways of building a more democratic city.
- To connect people, knowledge, technical knowledge, practices, devices and social visions, facilitating learning and collaboration between communities, projects and public institutions.
- Contribute to the common good of its immediate surroundings, the neighbourhood, the city and the world, through the creation of networks and the production of prototypes and free resources, from a vision of democratic radicality and social transformation.
- To create an ecosystem of innovation of/from/for the citizenship tend to generate answers to problems and desires of the city and to social transformation.
- To facilitate the development of projects of Thought, Research, Innovation, Development and Prototyping with a critical vision and orientation to the common good.
- Promote these objectives by offering spaces, methodologies, devices, material, human and logistical resources.
- To establish a democratic and collaborative citizen space of thought, debate and action.
- Explore new methodologies of experimental, participatory and experiential work around democracy.
- Offer tools, resources and infraestructures (knowledge, technology, legal and economic advice, network…) for the project’s development.
- To promote and fund citizen research aimed at solving the problems of the city, its inhabitants and organisations in collaboration with academic, institutional and economic-professional research.
- To provide open resources and participatory spaces for the research of projects of the City Council itself and of the citizens.
- Prototype models of citizen science, social innovation and co-management and governance of urban labs.
- Generate a productive ecosystem of services around social and democratic innovation.
- To promote technological projects and prototypes, designed in a critical and participatory way and oriented to the common good.
- To promote around democracy new discourses and alternative knowledge, as well as pedagogical materials.
- To create an open infrastructure for gathering people and communities who are passionate about democracy, technologies and social transformations connected to them.
- To foster convergences or the creation of networks, communities, institutions and projects oriented to think and project solutions to city problems of academic, technological, social, community, business and public-municipal type.
Seminars LID 2018
12/12/2018 Collaborative mapping workshop
From now on, all the activity of the LID can be found on the LID website
Fabra&Coats, Fabrica de creació. Carrer de Sant Adrià, 20, 08030 Barcelona.