LAB Metadecidim - Session 17. decidim.delibera: Decidim Deliberative Democracy
Babysitting serviceIf you want to order the service, please answer the survey: https://meta.decidim.org/assemblies/eix-lab/f/1696/
>>> The Metadecidim LABs are back with a debate and a workshop on deliberative democracy in Decidim!
🆕 Participate now in the previous debate about deliberation and Decidim: 👉 https://meta.decidim.org/processes/RedesignDecidim/f/1663/debates/238
Decidim aspires to be a democratic project for the future. For this reason, in this session of the metadecidim LAB, we want to discuss possible improvements in one of its facets or fundamental possibilities: the deliberative one. The session is based on the idea that Decidim should incorporate and promote deliberative democracy, defined by authors such as Gutmann & Thompson (2004) as a form of governance in which free and equal persons (and their representatives, if any) justify their positions through processes in which mutually acceptable and generally accessible reasons are given, with the aim of reaching decisions that are binding on all but are open to amendment in the future.
The objective of this session is to invite the Decidim community to deliberate on deliberation, on the incorporation of new functionalities (operational elements of the Decidim design) that help to better articulate debate and dissent, as well as consensus and collective decision. Functionalities that feed knowledge and mutual recognition between different actors, the development of individual and collective reasoning and, ultimately, dynamics that transform and enrich the perspectives of the participants (eg, the positions from which they are identified and discussed common problems, proposed solutions, etc.).
The program for this session is divided into two parts. The first includes talks by experts and an open debate to reflect on the relationship between deliberative democracy and Decidim based on specific cases, approaches and methodologies. The second part, which will feature two practical workshops, will address two complementary issues: a) how to improve Decidim-supported deliberation through (and beyond) the current redesign of the platform; and, b) how the Citizen Assemblies can contribute to said deliberation supported by the platform.
Some questions that will guide this session are:
- How do we understand or should we understand deliberation, especially in Decidim? What concepts and metrics can help us study and improve it, on the platform and beyond?
- What existing functionalities, linked directly or indirectly to deliberation, can be improved? How could it be done?
- What new deliberative functionalities can be added? What specific aspects would you try to improve these functionalities?
- What deliberative platforms and/or experiences can serve as a reference to improve the possibilities and forms of deliberation in Decidim? How can the Citizen Assemblies in Decidim contribute to quality deliberation?
- Beyond technological development: how do we guarantee or promote that the use of new functions for deliberation are used and used well? What are the technopolitical principles that should govern deliberation in Decidim?
10:00 - 11:30 First part: presentations and debate
Zero Row Discussion:
- Maite López Sánchez (UB)
- Marta Cambronero (UOC)
- Carol Romero (Decidim)
- Emmanuele Cozzo (UB)
- Sara Suárez-Gonzalo (UOC)
Moderation: Carol Romero (Decidim)
11:30 - 12:00 Break
12:00 - 14:00 Second part. Workshop: Decidim and Deliberation
Powered by: Decidim | Tecnopolítica.net (IN3-UOC) | Fundació Ferrer i Guàrdia
Supported by: Canòdrom - Ateneu d'Innovació Digital i Democràtica | Ajuntament de Barcelona
Este evento se enmarca en el contexto del proyecto DELMA, una línea de trabajo del >D2<: espacio abierto de investigación transdisciplinar y participativa sobre las múltiples interrelaciones entre datos y democracia, impulsado por Tecnopolítica.net.
* Unfortunately there will be no streaming this time :-(, but the session will be recorded and published later.
* Admission is free with prior registration. The language will be Spanish/Catalan, with some intervention in English.
* Literature included in the full program (PDF)
🆕 Babysitting service: Fill in the survey to order the service
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?